Group Policy FAQs
"Group Policy Client service failed the login" error
Note: There can be several causes of this error. The resolution below specifically applies when a domain user is unable to log onto any machine.
Cause: The permissions on the user's registry hive are set incorrectly.
- Log into a Domain Admin account.
- Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe).
- Click on HKEY_USERS.
- From the File menu, select Load Hive.
- Navigate to the user's profile folder on the appropriate network share and open NTUSER.DAT. Give the hive a name when requested.
- Navigate to the provided name under HKEY_USERS. Right click on it and select Permissions.
- If required, grant the Administrator group/user Full Control, and do the same for the appropriate user account. You may also need to assume ownership on behalf of the Administrator group.
- Select Unload Hive from the File menu.
- Ensure that the user has Full Control permisssion on their profile folder.
Prevent users logging on when loading roaming profile fails
Tested on: SBS 2003
Enable Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\User Profiles\Log users off when roaming profile fails on an appropriate group policy.
Force Windows 7 Basic theme
Tested on: Server 2008 R2
Under User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization, double click 'Load a specific theme' . Select Enable and enter '%SystemRoot%\Resources\Ease of Access Themes\basic.theme' as the 'Path to theme file' .